Two construction workers died, Gunasekaran (23), from Tiruvarur, and Raja (26), and two others sustained grievous injuries, Manikandan (25) and Arul (25) from Cuddalore, after balcony slabs collapsed from the third floor of a building under construction on Spurtank Road, Chetpet in Chennai on 30 May.
Two migrant contract workers, Santosh (28) and Vijay (25), from Odisha, working for L&T, died in Hyderabad during an attempt to remove the centering material put inside an inspection chamber of Hyderabad Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board (HMWS&SB) water pipeline in front of Rajiv Gandhi International Stadium at Uppal on 30 May 2018. The workers died minutes after entering the chamber due to asphyxiation. HMWSSB has announced a Rs 10 lakh compensation to the families of each of the worker.
Vicky (25), a sanitation worker, lost his life while trying to save his two co-workers who were working inside sewer pipelines in Sector 9 on 18 May 2018 in Gurugram, Haryana. According to the police, Vicky died of suffocation from the toxic gases inside the sewer pipeline and some loose soil also fell on him, trapping him and suffocating him further. Vicky was employed by a Gurugram Municipal Corporation contractor.
About 150 workers at Silver Crest Clothing Pvt. Ltd, a garment Factory in Sarjapur, Bangalore fell sick over a span of three days at the end of the month complaining of stomach pain, dysentry and nausea, after reportedly drinking polluted water at the factory. Over 100 workers were hospitalized. Workers suspect that there was a dead snake in the water tanker, which decayed and polluted the water.
A worker, Javed (40) was killed when a fire broke out at a shoe-manufacturing unit located in an industrial estate in Sativali area, in Vasai town, in Palghar district of Maharashtra at around 4 am on 16 May. The worker was sleeping inside the unit and was charred to death. A short-circuit was suspected to have caused the fire.
An assistant loco pilot, SK Vishwakarma (32), aboard a Mumbai-bound train, fell off the train while checking the train’s locomotive engine that had caught fire, and died.
A Kerala nurse, Lini Puthussery (31) fell victim to the deadly Nipah virus while taking care of one of the first infected patients on 21 May 2018. Lini was a daily wage employee at a hospital in Kozhikode’s Perambra.